Here’s the list. I’m pondering whether to aim for 100 in the year to come, I reckon more lockdown living and I could do it, but also I’m aware I need to slow down more as I read, to drink things in and taste ideas rather than rushing through. So no number to aim for, just an appreciation of what I have read. This year I’ve read so many good books, I’ve highlighted the outstanding ones as usual although there are SO many who didn’t quite make the everyone should read this now list.
1. Anatomy of Dreams- Chloe Benjamin.
2. The Hidden Life of Trees- Peter Wohlleben
3. Miss Jane- Brad Watson.
4. Home Fire- Kamila Shamsie
5. How to Own the Room- Viv Groskop.
6. View from the No12 Bus- Sandi Toskvig
7. Unfollow – Megan Phelps-Roper.
8. Shadow Doctor- The Past Awaits- Adrian Plass
9. The Flatshare- Beth O’Leary
10. The Next Five People You Meet in Heaven- Mitch Albom
11. Where the Forest Meets the Stars- Glendy Vanderah
12. Sunny Side Up, A Story of Kindness and Joy- Susan Calman
13. 3 Things About Elsie- Joanna Cannon
14. An Alter in the World- Barbara Brown Taylor
15. Little White Lies- Philippa East
16. The Land of Roar- Jenny Maclachlan
17. The Other Half of Augusta Hope- Joanna Glen
18. The Other Wife- Claire McGowan
19. Bridge to Terebithia- Katherine Paterson
20. The Way Under Our Feet (A spirituality of walking) – Graham B Usher.
21. Restoring the Woven Cord- Michael Mitton
22. The Celtic Way of Prayer- Ester De Waal
23. The Naked Hermit- Nick Mayhew-Smith
24. We need to talk about Race- Ben Lindsay
25. 100 essays I don’t have time to write- Sarah Ruhl
26. A Beautifully Foolish Endeavour- Hank Green
27. Little Disasters- Sarah Vaughan
28. Little Friends- Jane Shemilt
29. The Book of Queer Prophets – Ed by Ruth Hunt
30. Half a World Away/The Hope Family Calendar- Mike Gayle
31. Three Hours- Rosamund Lupton
32. The Power of Ritual- Casper Ter Kile
33. Come Again- Robert Webb
34. Losing Eden – Lucy Jones
35. Firefly Lane- Kirsten Hannah
36. The Electricity of Every Living Thing- Katherine May
37. Return to Roar- Jenny McLachlan
38. The Midnight Library- Matt Haig.
39. American Dirt- Jeanine Cummins
40. Braiding Sweetgrass- Robin Wall Kimmerer
41. The Glass Hotel- Emily St John Mandel.
42. The Gift of Being Yourself- David Benner.
43. The City is my Monastery- Richard Carter
44. More Than a Woman- Catlin Moran
45. Motherhood- The best, most awful, Job- Ed by Katherine May
46. Sweet Sorrow- David Nicholls
47. I’m still here- Austin Channing Brown.
48. Girl, Woman, Other– Bernardine Evaristo
49. Lost Connections- Johann Hari
50. 5 Rivers Met on a Wooded Plain- Barney Norris
51. The Man I Think I Know- Mike Gayle.
52. The Wild Robot- Peter Brown
53. Science Geek Sam- Cees Dekker
54. The Family Tree- Sairish Hussain
55. Miracles and Other Reasonable Things- Sarah Bessey
56. The Light Keeper- Cole Morton
57. What is the Bible? – Rob Bell
58. Unexpected Lessons in Love- Lucy Dillon
59. The Giver of Stars- Jojo Moyes
60. The Diary of a Bookseller- Shaun Bythell
61. The Thursday Murder Club- Richard Osman
62. Wintering- Katherine May