Some schmaltzy stuff (Updated)

Well, because sometimes you need some songs that help with the coming to terms with having a child… Here are some good ones that circle around my head right now. Best of all this by the Barenaked Ladies- ‘When you dream’.  The first few lines sum it up:

“With life just begun
My sleeping new son,
Has eyes that roll back in his head
They flutter and dart
He slows down his heart
And pictures a world past his bed”

Rich Mullins also has a good one in Let Mercy Lead:

And Gracie by Ben Folds is beautiful.

I’m not even close to processing the grenade that has just gone off in our lives, I’m no where near being able to think about anything rationally, I’ve no idea how this works or how to navigate this new land apart from one moment at a time. These songs help to soothe my soul and give words to some of these new emotions swirling around me.

Binface has just reminded me of the excellent Daisy by Karine Polwart. Lovely stuff.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Life on the journey and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Some schmaltzy stuff (Updated)

1. I think Karine does this best. ‘Daisy’ for the feelings around bringing an innocent soul into a less than perfect world, and the more optimistic ‘Rivers Run’ as just a beautiful hymn to the wonder of someone who has “just begun”.

2. Binface says:

I think Karine does this best. ‘Daisy’ for the feelings about bringing an innocent soul into a less than perfect world, and the more optimistic ‘Rivers Run’ for just a beautiful hymn to the wonder of someone who has “just begun”.

3. Anna Faro says:

Well as the mother of a little girlie, its gotta be Gracie for me. Taps right into my
    very powerful mushy feelings!!!!

4. Chris B says:

Not schmaltzy, just gorgeous. Thank you for these, I’d never heard any of them before. My little ones are all in their twenties now, but the songs bought back lots of memories. Don’t worry that you haven’t sorted it all out yet….I’m not sure that that is required. Enjoy, and be kind to yourselves. The total tiredness won’t last for ever 🙂

5. Chris B says:

Not schmaltzy but simply gorgeous. I’d not heard any of these before, they brought back a lot of memories, though my little ones are all as tall as me now, and in their twenties. Keep on being kind to yourselves – a necessary thing in the exhaustion of early parenthood.

6. Chris B says:

Sorrry = hadn’t intended to comment twice….!

7. Mark says:

A bit late to commenting on this – but “When you dream” made me think that in your case there is probably a fairly high chance that Ethan is dream of Jesus AND Quantum Mechanics…